Saturday 9 July 2011

Book Review!! (I know, I always want to do these but never do!)

Hello there Everybody,

I have a book review for you today. I know I don't review books, or anything for that matter, very often but I like to every now and again. I would like to be like a one of those big blogs with a review everyday and over a thousands hits everyday and over 700 'minions' but I think I connect more, or something, like I give you this little introduction (see look at me go!) whereas they launch into everything. I hope you actually read this little introduction because it actually masks the fact that I'm searching for the book I was going to review because I picked it up and now I can't find (damn brain, where the hell did I put it? Brain: Me no know). I hope this distracts you.... AHA!! I found it!I found it!! (singsongy voice). Now I can continue!!!!!!!!
Title: Last Chance
Author: Sarah Dessen
Best time to read: Summer when you're bored and actually thinking school would be nice, don't worry this book will save you!
Rating: 3 stars (I haven't figured out how to do the star picture thingy)
Blurb(hehe, funny word!): Never in one place long enough to put down roots, Colie doesn't expect her trip to the North Carolina coast to change a thing, and that's fine by her. Colie's resigned herself to a holiday with only her eccentric Aunt Mira for company. 
                                                                                          But then Colie herself a waitressing job at the Last Chance cafe and things begin to change. Here she finds acceptance, new friends and the beginnings of romance...

Okay, it's not a work of art in the ways of literature but it's funny and a great summer read. Colie is a nickname for Nicole, just to let you know! Colie's mother is Kiki Sparks, a world-famous fitness trainer with her own line of products and everything. Kiki is going on tour to Europe and sends Colie to her Aunt Mira's house in North Carolina.When she is at her Aunt's house, you can see that Mira is clearly eccentric. Norman lives in Mira's basement (not creepily, she rents it out to him) and he works at Last Chance cafe.There are two waitresses working at Last Chance, Morgan and Isabel. Colie is offered a job and she takes it never expecting what will happen.

It isn't a great book because it is very predictable. You can tell what's going to happen, it doesn't mean it's not fun waiting to see how it turns out. I think it would be better if the author told us about Colie at the beginning  so we can know and be worried for her. In ways it isn't so predictable because the author needs to tell us about Colie, the bits and pieces that she feeds us are enough to be like 'What happened?!' but not enough to know exactly what happened.

Like I said it's not a work of art but it's good. It's old, 1999, so don't be surprised when Colie is using a Walkman instead of an iPod. It tackles issues like bullying, slander, weight, friends, work, family and sorry cards. Sarah Dessen artfully weaves these heavy issues into a lighthearted book that will make you want to run to your nearest town and go to every cafe asking for a job! It is a summer read but one that will make you think of school. I recommend it to those who are getting bored with summer, you will have your spirits lifted! And to those who are enjoying summer, it will make you appreciate it more! Jeez, that was fun to do!! See you all next time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Too many !'s?)

Clíodhna
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment