Tuesday 5 July 2011

Libraries

Hey guys,

I got something important to say today and that is that libraries are disappearing. It's very sad, especially for someone like me. I am saving money, have been since I was eight. I get all my books at the library and I love the library, I have my favourite seat where there is a view of the street below and I can see the local secondary school, the church, a car park that has markets in it at least once a week and just people, going about their everyday lives and sometimes I try to guess what they are thinking or how they are feeling and also sometimes I think 'I should be out there, I should be one of them' and other times I think 'I'm glad I don't have to face the world out there, I can be spirited away into a realm of fantasy, another country or sometimes even my own country but in somewhere beautiful like Connemara or Wicklow Mountains or The Burren'. Point is I need my library, it is the one place where I feel completely safe and it's somewhere I am wanted, I love books and those are the kind of people they want there. It's somewhere I can be myself, not the nerd in school, not the youngest in the house and not invisible in life. Do any of you get what I'm saying? Do you understand that if my library is closed, I will just fall and not come back, I won't be able to read and then I will, in my eyes and mind and heart and soul, cease to exist. I am who I am because of books. An author once said this line in a book, 'Sometimes when I have to do something I don't want to do, I pretend I'm a character from a book. It's easier to know what they would do.' I am still trying to find myself, I don't know who I am aside from characters I create or characters from books. When I feel pain I think like Max from Maximum Ride: 'Pain is only a message and you can choose to ignore that message.' I guess what I'm trying (and failing, I guess) to say is I'm not me without me and me is books. Does that make any sense whatsoever? I just hope it does.

Support your local libraries!!
Clíodhna
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment